Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A fateful reunion in El Salvador


I was in the second grade when I left my native country of Cuba. Although it’s been nearly forty years since I set foot on the island, I have very fond memories of my early years and the cousins and aunts that remain in the renowned capital of Havana.

Last month, memories flooded my mind after meeting three leaders from Cuba while sharing oral strategies to pastors and ministry leaders in El Salvador. The men were invited by COMCA (Cooperación Misionera de Centro America) to be better equipped to teach and serve in their respected seminaries.

After I introduced myself and shared the ministry the Lord has called our family to do in Latin America, they opened up and shared their calling as well. It was a blessing to speak to brothers in Christ who not only share my ethnicity but a love for the Gospel of Christ.

One of the pastors wanted insight and understanding regarding the ministry of Bible storytelling.  As I explained to him how Bible stories serve as the platform for small group discussions through the power of the Holy Spirit, he spoke of his love of dialogue and interactive Bible study.  “We have lots of time in Cuba; talking is our favorite past time, “ said the heavyset pastor with a grin.

Our time in El Salvador came to an end and there’s a good possibility I’ll see these men again. But whether we shall see each other or not, there’s one thing I am sure of: Jesus’ ascension into heaven provides all of us the certainty that our citizenship is in heaven where Jesus is.  

But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.  2 Peter 3:13
Faithful men of Cuba
Laura at 7 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment